The Atlantic Wire's Adam Martin writes about former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's call for Congress to skip its coming recess, which runs from June 11 through June 15.
"Nancy Pelosi's open letter to House Speaker John Boehner asking him to work through next week's planned recess is basically political posturing, but the House minority leader has a point," Martin writes. "A congress widely regarded as do-nothing should probably not take nine weeks of vacation in the first half of the year and get a few things done."
"I call on you to cancel next weeks recess — our ninth week-long recess of the year — and instead commit the House to working round the clock to address the highway and student loan laws, and to extend the middle-income tax cut without further delay," Pelosi wrote.
Roll Call reports that House ad Senate Republicans have offered to stop student loan rates from rising to 6.8 percent, which is the same rate they were at in 2007. The offer suggested paying for the $6 billion delay in the doubling of student loan rates with proposals from President Barack Obama's budget blueprint. The offer has gone five days without a response.
"Pelosi and other congressional leaders have pulled this move before, and sometimes Congress actually does it. But the main reason for calling to cancel recess is to show you're more serious than the other side," Martin writes. "Really, though, someone needs to get serious here."
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on morality...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize...
- Scouts likely to face further turmoil
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Mistake or miracle: New evidence on the...
- Affordable Care Act could bring 'skinny'...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 59
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,... 43
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- US companies challenging contraception... 19
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on... 17