RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. — A 15-year-old accused of fatally shooting his older sister as she slept at their family's rural Arkansas home has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
A judge on Wednesday sentenced Colton Harvey to 45 years in prison. He was charged as an adult in the shooting death of Candace Harvey. Prosecutors say she was shot three times in the head while she slept.
Prosecutors initially charged the teen with first-degree murder after authorities said he showed up at a sheriff's office in January and confessed to killing the 16-year-old.
The sheriff said the boy seemed remorseful and had tears in his eyes when he turned himself in.
Details in the case were scarce after the judge barred lawyers from talking about it publicly.
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Defeated boxer Pacquiao keeps faith, as do...
- The Latest on prophet cartoon case: 1 man's...
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 19
- More Americans spending at least half... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 9