RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. — A 15-year-old accused of fatally shooting his older sister as she slept at their family's rural Arkansas home has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
A judge on Wednesday sentenced Colton Harvey to 45 years in prison. He was charged as an adult in the shooting death of Candace Harvey. Prosecutors say she was shot three times in the head while she slept.
Prosecutors initially charged the teen with first-degree murder after authorities said he showed up at a sheriff's office in January and confessed to killing the 16-year-old.
The sheriff said the boy seemed remorseful and had tears in his eyes when he turned himself in.
Details in the case were scarce after the judge barred lawyers from talking about it publicly.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- How Twitter forced the news media to pay...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 27
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12