Pastor will walk across the U.S. to raise awareness about urban violence
Nuccio DiNuzzo, MCT
Our take: Chicago reverend Corey Brooks will be spending the next four months away from the pulpit so he can walk across the U.S. to raise awareness about urban violence and gather donations to help build a community center in one of Chicago's most violent neighborhoods. Brooks will walk with his two sons, starting in New York City.
Known as the "rooftop pastor," Reverend Corey Brooks is preparing for a walk across the nation in hopes of raising awareness, along with 15 million dollars, to end urban violence in Chicago.
According to NBC 5 Chicago, Brooks will start his four month walk from New York's Times Square on Tuesday, June 5th. From there Brooks will stop at major cities across the nation hitting New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles.
Pastor Brooks' last fundraising effort involved living for three months in a tent on the roof of a hotel previously used for drug trade and prostitution. The 450,000 dollars he raised, including 100,000 from producer Tyler Perry, allowed him to buy and demolish the hotel in hopes of building a community center in its place.
Brooks aims to use the walk to solicit donations to build the community center in one of the most violent neighborhoods of Chicago, calling it Project Helping Others Obtain Destiny (H.O.O.D.).
Read more about Chicago pastor walks across U.S. to protest violence on The Huffington Post.
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 13
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9