"Behavior change is difficult," Bloom admits. "But this is a situation where there is real self-interest in play. Why wouldn't you want to stop throwing away money and do the right thing for the environment by not throwing away food."
Who is wasting food
The U.S. Department of Agriculture surveyed studies of consumer food waste. More food is wasted in summer months. Younger children waste more food than older children. Females waste more than males. Higher income individuals waste more than lower income individuals. Larger households (with more children, of course) waste more than smaller households. People waste more food when they eat at a restaurant than when they eat at home.
- How colleges take from the poor, give to the...
- Mistake or miracle: New evidence on the...
- Can't catch a break: America lags behind on...
- Delta ups ante in battle for N.Y.
- Murray's vision: If you build it they will come
- Low US energy prices make Euro leaders see green
- Some unions angry about health care law
- Political landscape changes with improving...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- US companies challenging contraception... 20
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of... 13
- Obama opposes GOP bill on Keystone XL... 11
- How colleges take from the poor, give... 11
- IRS official to take the 5th at hearing 8
- Obama threatens veto of Republican... 7
- Utah ranks No. 1 for economic outlook... 7