It wasn't a good day for local golfers at the U.S. Open sectional qualifying tournaments Monday.
Coming off his best finish ever in a PGA Tour event when he finished in a tie for fourth at the Memorial Tournament Sunday, Daniel Summerhays ran out of gas in Monday's qualifier in Columbus Ohio.
The 28-year-old Farmington native bogeyed six of the last seven holes in his morning round for a 76 and then withdrew from the afternoon round. Summerhays has played in one U.S. Open, missing the cut in 2010.
Ogden's Zac Blair, who plays for the BYU golf team, came the closest of the local golfers, shooting rounds of 72 and 70 at qualifier in San Francisco, but that was still four strokes off the cut line of 138. Out of 130 golfers in the qualifier at the Lake Merced and Harding Park golf courses, only six spots were available and Blair finished tied for 24th.
Also at the San Francisco qualifier, Tooele amateur Jacob Holt shot 146 with rounds of 72 and 74, while Farmington pro Zach Johnson came in at 148 with rounds of 76 and 72. BYU golfer Justin Keiley, a native of Hawaii, who had made it out of the local qualifier in Utah last month, was well back at 157.
Sandy's Mike Weir, whose run of major tournaments was broken last year when he failed to qualify for the U.S. Open, withdrew from the sectional qualifier in Ohio, after posting rounds of 83 and 81 in the Memorial Tournament last week.
The U.S. Open begins June 14 at the Olympic Club in San Francisco.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28