It wasn't a good day for local golfers at the U.S. Open sectional qualifying tournaments Monday.
Coming off his best finish ever in a PGA Tour event when he finished in a tie for fourth at the Memorial Tournament Sunday, Daniel Summerhays ran out of gas in Monday's qualifier in Columbus Ohio.
The 28-year-old Farmington native bogeyed six of the last seven holes in his morning round for a 76 and then withdrew from the afternoon round. Summerhays has played in one U.S. Open, missing the cut in 2010.
Ogden's Zac Blair, who plays for the BYU golf team, came the closest of the local golfers, shooting rounds of 72 and 70 at qualifier in San Francisco, but that was still four strokes off the cut line of 138. Out of 130 golfers in the qualifier at the Lake Merced and Harding Park golf courses, only six spots were available and Blair finished tied for 24th.
Also at the San Francisco qualifier, Tooele amateur Jacob Holt shot 146 with rounds of 72 and 74, while Farmington pro Zach Johnson came in at 148 with rounds of 76 and 72. BYU golfer Justin Keiley, a native of Hawaii, who had made it out of the local qualifier in Utah last month, was well back at 157.
Sandy's Mike Weir, whose run of major tournaments was broken last year when he failed to qualify for the U.S. Open, withdrew from the sectional qualifier in Ohio, after posting rounds of 83 and 81 in the Memorial Tournament last week.
The U.S. Open begins June 14 at the Olympic Club in San Francisco.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- BYU football: 5 questions with an East...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 38
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17