It wasn't a good day for local golfers at the U.S. Open sectional qualifying tournaments Monday.
Coming off his best finish ever in a PGA Tour event when he finished in a tie for fourth at the Memorial Tournament Sunday, Daniel Summerhays ran out of gas in Monday's qualifier in Columbus Ohio.
The 28-year-old Farmington native bogeyed six of the last seven holes in his morning round for a 76 and then withdrew from the afternoon round. Summerhays has played in one U.S. Open, missing the cut in 2010.
Ogden's Zac Blair, who plays for the BYU golf team, came the closest of the local golfers, shooting rounds of 72 and 70 at qualifier in San Francisco, but that was still four strokes off the cut line of 138. Out of 130 golfers in the qualifier at the Lake Merced and Harding Park golf courses, only six spots were available and Blair finished tied for 24th.
Also at the San Francisco qualifier, Tooele amateur Jacob Holt shot 146 with rounds of 72 and 74, while Farmington pro Zach Johnson came in at 148 with rounds of 76 and 72. BYU golfer Justin Keiley, a native of Hawaii, who had made it out of the local qualifier in Utah last month, was well back at 157.
Sandy's Mike Weir, whose run of major tournaments was broken last year when he failed to qualify for the U.S. Open, withdrew from the sectional qualifier in Ohio, after posting rounds of 83 and 81 in the Memorial Tournament last week.
The U.S. Open begins June 14 at the Olympic Club in San Francisco.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39