Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Let's look at Sen. Orrin Hatch's 36-year record in the Senate.
He introduced or originally co-sponsored more than 8,000 pieces of legislation, 350 of which have become law, while at the same time detecting and blocking lots of bad bills. He was the major player in getting conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas confirmed.
He is extremely pro-Utah and has helped bring thousands of jobs to Utah, including 10,000 at the new Center to Counter Cyber Attacks. He has helped save thousands of jobs, like Hill Air Force Base. Personally, I have found his office very responsive to my questions and concerns. He is a fighter for the 'little guy.'
So, one question: Why put the most effective conservative senator out to pasture at the very time Utah and the nation needs his experience and clout the most? Do we think electing Dan Liljenquist, with his questionable Utah voting record, will change things? How can Liljenquist possibly be as effective as Hatch?
These are the questions we need to ask, and not just vote for "change." Look at what President Obama's promise of "change" brought us. Hatch is a known commodity. I say, let's give him another six years to finish what he started. And let's give Mitt Romney what he is asking for: Hatch as chair of the Senate Finance Committee, the most important post in the Senate.
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37