BYU football: Cougars enjoying exposure on ESPN as an independent
"The Washington State game (on Aug. 30) will be one of the first college football games played this season," Doman continued. "In the first weeks of the season, we're on national TV in slots where no one else is playing. It's just us. So potentially everyone's watching that. Especially on Friday night, because every team in America is in a hotel somewhere, laying there in their hotel bed, watching college football. That was us forever. Now, we're the ones they're watching.
"Coach Mendenhall says, 'What if we're a really good team? What if we're winning, especially early on in the season with all of the exposure in the world?' It accelerates opportunities in a significant way. Last year, we lost two of our first three games, so it can go either way. It can be great, or it can be tough on you. But that's what we want. We want to be in position for a great spot, rather than nobody knowing that you're winning."
The program is adapting to the new, nocturnal-heavy schedule, Doman added.
"I don't worry if it's 7:30 or 8:30 at night. We're going to have to get really good at playing at night. I think coach Mendenhall has a really good routine for playing at night. We've been traditionally pretty dang good on Thursday nights. Last year on Friday night we were pretty good. The give is not that big of a deal. But the takeaway from these games is significant."
For the second half of the season, broadcast plans have been set for only one game — when the Cougars visit Notre Dame on Oct. 20. That's a Saturday afternoon contest that will be broadcast nationally on NBC.
Broadcast plans for the remainder of BYU's schedule will be announced later.
Related top list: Top 10 in-state football games to look forward to in 2012
2012 BYU Football Schedule
Opponent Date Time Network
Washington State Aug. 30 (Thurs.) 8:15 p.m. MT ESPN
Weber State Sept. 8 (Sat.) 1 p.m. MT BYUtv
@Utah Sept. 15 (Sat.) TBD TBD
@Boise State Sept. 20 (Thurs.) 7 p.m. MT ESPN
Hawaii Sept. 28 (Fri.) 6 p.m. MT ESPN
Utah State Oct. 5 (Fri.) 8:15 p.m. MT ESPN or ESPN2
Oregon State Oct. 13 (Sat.) TBD TBD
@Notre Dame Oct. 20 (Sat.) 1:30 p.m. MT NBC
@Georgia Tech Oct. 27 (Sat.) TBD TBD
Idaho Nov. 10 (Sat.) TBD TBD
@San Jose State Nov. 17 (Sat.) 1 p.m. MT TBD
@New Mexico State Nov. 24 (Sat.) 1:30 p.m MT TBD
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 31
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26