J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
With all the focus on government spending, people forget that there are two factors that contribute to the federal deficit. There has been a loss in revenue to the federal government because taxpayers have become benefit collectors. That is why the focus on private-sector job creation should be the most important priority in the election. We do much more to help the deficit if we turn benefit collectors into taxpayers than we will with just a simple focus on spending.
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Letters: Government, health care
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: No welfare, ever 66
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17
- Michael Gerson: As government's... 15