J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
With all the focus on government spending, people forget that there are two factors that contribute to the federal deficit. There has been a loss in revenue to the federal government because taxpayers have become benefit collectors. That is why the focus on private-sector job creation should be the most important priority in the election. We do much more to help the deficit if we turn benefit collectors into taxpayers than we will with just a simple focus on spending.
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges Hatch...
- Charles Krauthammer: Donald, Hillary and the...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 53
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 33
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- Letter: Citizens have a duty 19
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 18