Johan Santana pitches first no-hitter in Mets' history
Baxter crashed into the wall standing up and held on to the ball despite falling. He stayed on the ground for awhile before finally walking off the field with trainer Ray Ramirez, who was holding Baxter’s left arm. He suffered a contusion of his left shoulder and said after the game he was sore. He will have further tests today.
“I’m glad I had a chance to be part of it,” said Baxter, a Queens native. “You’re not really worried about crashing into the wall when you’re making a play. … It’s a great night for the Mets.”
Santana called the play “amazing.”
“You look at no-hitters,” catcher Thole said, “and there’s always one play that stands out.”
Leading off the sixth, Beltran, making his first appearance at Citi Field since being traded to San Francisco last July, lined a 1-0 pitch over the third-base bag. Replays clearly showed the ball kicked up chalk, but Johnson called it foul. The part of the line where the chalk was missing still was visible when the game ended.
Third baseman David Wright said, “in real time, it’s extremely difficult” to make that call. He said he thought it was foul.
In another strange twist, the Mets battered St. Louis’ Adam Wainwright (4-6) for seven runs over 6 1/3 innings. Wainwright fanned Beltran to end the 2006 National League Championship Series.
“I know what it means for the fans,” said Wright, a lifelong Mets’ fan. “I know what it means to the organization.”
And it meant a lot to Santana.
“We did this together,” he said. “It’s not just about me. We as a team made history.”
©2012 The Record (Hackensack, N.J.)
Visit The Record (Hackensack, N.J.) at www.NorthJersey.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35