"Globalization" causes missionaries, pastors to reevaluate their approach
Our take: "Globalization" has made the world a much smaller place, but also a much busier one. Pastors and missionaries working around the world have had to adjust the way they reach an ethnic group because of aspects like changing family roles, job opportunities, cultural revolutions and a shift in priorities. In countries like India mission-minded groups are helping local pastors understand how to reach a rapidly changing demographic and population with the gospel.
Globalization is the new buzzword that has come to dominate the world.
With that buzz comes the end of the Cold War, changes in what was the Soviet Union, closer connections with Europe and North America, and lots of influence through media.
Market economies dominated the world, and there were plenty of resources to be had by the savvy and creative. There was promise of greater access to developed country markets, productivity, and a higher living standard.
So, on the one hand, globalization has ushered in new ideas. David Dayalan, Asian Access National Director for India, explains: "15 to 20 years back, there was so little opportunity in terms of jobs. Today, you have plenty of opportunity. People have various options in terms of career, so that's good for us."
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of the...
- Utah chaplains serve 'God, country and fellow...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 57
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 17
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7