Charges filed against bus driver arrested for DUI before driving students to Disneyland
Cocaine in his system on day of kids' Disney trip
, Iron County Jail
CEDAR CITY — Felony and misdemeanor charges have been filed against a bus driver who police say was impaired while he was preparing to drive a group of students to Disneyland.
Brandon Mark Gillman, 30, of South Jordan was about to transport Canyon View High graduates to Southern California when a drug-detecting K-9 indicated there were illegal substances in his backpack.
Three Utah Trailways buses and drivers had been hired to take students and were preparing to depart about 11:30 p.m. May 25, when Cedar City police officers were conducting a search of the students' luggage.
The bus drivers were told the dog would search for illegal substances on the bus and were asked if they had any problems.
In the bus Gillman was to drive, the dog "quickly indicated on the bag left in the driver's seat by Brandon."
The officer asked to search Gillman and the man agreed. When asked to empty his pockets, he told the officer he was carrying a prescription medication. He had a bottle holding 17 Endocet pills, charges state.
Officers said they found no evidence that Gillman had a prescription for the medication.
The officer asked to search Gillman's backpack and found a bottle holding two Zolpidem pills as well as three plastic bags filled with powder.
Gillman was taken to Iron County Correctional Facility, where he took field sobriety tests. Prosecutors say the man failed all of the tests.
A urine test was positive for cocaine and OxyContin, and Gillman was booked into jail.
Gillman is charged with possession or use of a controlled substance, a second-degree felony; possession or use of a controlled substance, a third-degree felony; possession or use of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor; use or possession of drug paraphernalia and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, both class B misdemeanors.
Gillman was released after posting $10,000 bond. His first court appearance will be June 12.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 300
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 107
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 44
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36