Utah Valley's Kallunki Named to Louisville Slugger All-America First Team
OREM — Goose Kallunki has been named First Team Louisville Slugger All-America by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. The Utah Valley University senior is the first Wolverines to receive first-team honors and the program's third All-American in as many years.
Kallunki led UVU to a 47-win season and its third straight Great West Conference regular season and tournament titles. The Orem native leads all DI players with 86 RBIs and is among the leaders in batting (.419), home runs (18), slugging (.734), OPS (1.215), hits (96), and total bases (168).
He was twice named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week during the season, including May 7 when Collegiate Baseball became the first publication to rank Utah Valley in the program's NCAA DI era, at 27th overall. The Wolverines are currently ranked 27th by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
Kallunki received the Great West Player of the Year award and is also a semifinalist for both the Dick Howser Trophy and the Golden Spikes Award. The Dick Howser Trophy is given to the top player in collegiate baseball by the NCBWA and narrowed its list of semifinalists to 35 players. The Golden Spikes Award, given to the top amateur baseball player in the country, included Kallunki on its list of final 30 players.
Behind the first baseman's All-America season, Utah Valley put together a 32-game win streak and prior to the start of this weekend's NCAA regionals, the Wolverines rank first on the nation in wins (47), team batting (.350), runs (532), RBIs (481), slugging (.523), and on-base percentage (.436).
This marks the 16th year that Louisville Slugger has sponsored the Division I All-Americans.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26