Scandinavian novel adaptation like 'Dragon Tattoo' without the effects
Magnet Releasing, Magnet Releasing
"HEADHUNTERS" — ★★★ — Aksel Hennie, Synn?ve Macody Lund and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau; R; (bloody violence, grisly images, strong sexual content, nudity); in Norwegian and Danish with English subtitles; Broadway
"Headhunters," the latest Scandinavian page-turner to make it to the big screen, is an almost perfect example of the form. Suspenseful, clever, and squirm-inducing without having to resort to high-budget effects, it manages — in one especially stomach-turning scene — to put the "ill" in thriller.
Aksel Hennie is Roger, an Oslo executive who seems to have it all: cushy career, gorgeous Heidi Klum look-alike wife (Synn?ve Macody Lund) and a home straight out of a Swedish architecture magazine.
But he's subsidizing his lifestyle with something a little riskier than borrowing from his 401K: art heists. When he plots to steal an extremely rare Rubens from the home of Clas Greve (Nicolaj Coster-Waldau, best known as Jaime Lannister on "Game of Thrones"), a mysterious newcomer to town, his comfy life turns into a deadly cat-and-mouse game.
Based on a Norwegian novel by co-writer Jo Nesb? and directed with nail-chomping intensity by Morten Tyldum, "Headhunters" is full of chilly, Nordic calm masking the burning fires of jealousy, ambition and revenge underneath.
That girl with the dragon tattoo doesn't have anything on these guys.
"Headhunters" is rated R for bloody violence, grisly images, strong sexual content and nudity; running time 100 minutes
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- The Clean Cut: Christian funnyman Michael Jr....
- Three gluten-free pumpkin pie options
- 'VeggieTales' spinoff debuts on Netflix Nov. 26
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming video...
- The unstoppable powerhouse of Disney's Frozen
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 6
- Jennifer Lawrence: Privacy loss that... 4
- FanX returns in January with 'Star... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- Model-TV host Dickinson accuses Cosby... 2
- Going gluten-free for Thanksgiving 2
- 'Dumb and Dumber To' tops box office... 1
- Cookbooks see growth, but slow to move... 1