ScottTaylor/Deseret News, All
KENSINGTON, Md. — A new exhibit at the Washington, D.C., Temple Visitors Center titled "We Follow Jesus Christ" shows what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches about race relations, political neutrality, religious freedom and marriage. Visitors can also see the LDS Church's position on immigration and abortion and can read about proxy baptism.
"The increasing discussion of the church, its beliefs and doctrine, has spawned not only some misunderstandings, but also some interesting myths and legends," Don Olsen, the visitors center director, stated in a news release. "We have taken the questions about the church that seem to have most captured the public's fascination and answered them in an exhibit format."
Other questions include whether Mormons are Christian, what Latter-day Saints believe about God, and whether Mormons believe in the Trinity and the Bible. The exhibit also speaks of the role of women in the church, addresses why some Latter-day Saints wear temple garments, and answers the questions, do Mormons believe they can become "gods" or that they will "get their own planet"?
The exhibit will be on display at the visitors center through the end of August. As with all events and activities at the visitors center, it is free to the public. The center is located at 9900 Stoneybrook Drive in Kensington, Md., and is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Wright Words: Bad days are inevitable —...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 21
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5