Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Hospitality...
- In our opinion: Thankfully speaking —...
- My view: Remembering JFK 51 years later
- Letter: Acting on immigration
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- Drew Clark: Interfaith conference at Vatican...
- Letter: King Obama
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 68
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 53
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 46
- Letter: Acting on immigration 43
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 40
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- My view: Global warming needs free market 26