Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- This year's most popular editorials
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report didn't...
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —...
- Letter: Condoning torture
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 65
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report... 56
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- Letter: Condoning torture 43
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —... 29
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation... 27
- Letter: Police not the problem 24