Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- John Florez: Utah public education is a house...
- In our opinion: How committed are Obama, U.S....
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- 19 songs to consider as replacements for the...
- Catherine Rampell: Have America's public...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- In our opinion: The Scots have set an example...
- Greg Bell: Too many steering wheels in Utah's...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 93
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 76
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 37
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Richard Davis: Scots — Be brave,... 25
- In our opinion: Accountability,... 25
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who... 24
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the... 19