Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- On second thought
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- About Utah: He's a fair fixture
- In our opinion: UTA accountability
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 54
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 32
- Americans are changing their tune on... 28
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 25
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24