Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Jay Evensen: Marijuana acceptance will lead...
- Letter: Irreparable damage
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- Letter: Utah's birthright 47
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 47
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Letter: Irreparable damage 44
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37