Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- Which states are best for tax payers?
- Jay Evensen: No more rent for inmates —...
- In our opinion: Western land standoff aside,...
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Letter: Right and wrong
- My view: Utah's agriculture industry needs...
- Letter: Plenty of danger in e-cigarettes
- Kathleen Parker: Putin knows in geopolitical...
- Letter: Right and wrong 95
- My view: Anti-science ruins the climate... 68
- Robert Bennett: Immigration reform... 64
- Letter: Science consensus is slow,... 49
- In our opinion: Confronted by power,... 40
- In our opinion: Western land standoff... 36
- Letter: Republican empathy too rare 28
- John Hoffmire: Why shouldn’t... 28