Tom Smart, Deseret News
Have you noticed that Sen. Orrin Hatch has turned to Jake Garn, Jim Hansen and others of his generation for endorsements for his current campaign? These guys are nice guys personally, but they are also part of the group who were in office during the time our country was ever so slowly sliding into its current crisis.
None of them, including Hatch, made any noise about the excessive entitlements, the excessive spending, the easily predictable effect of decreasing employed persons on entitlements, the funding of wars without increasing revenues to pay for them, etc. These guys making campaign ads for Hatch have long since gone into retirement with the big benefits they garnered themselves. Hatch needs to join them.
Harry A. Haycock
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- John Florez: Audit reveals politicians'...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- In our opinion: 'Lost Boy of Sudan' shows how...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Letter: More informed decisions
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 77
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 37
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 30
- Letter: Give her time 26
- In our opinion: Overcome 'election... 24
- In our opinion: Charitable awareness... 23