"I didn't think I had a chance at first with Fowler running anyway," Lowrie said. "I thought we had a better chance with Guthrie at second. Just came down to miscommunication. I thought (Altuve) was calling for the ball."
Lowrie had a chance to keep the game going with two outs in the ninth, but he struck out swinging to end the opener.
It was a good day at the plate for Lowrie, who hit his eighth homer of the season in the first inning and brought in another run with a grounder.
"Felt good," said Lowrie, who had a pinch-hit single in the night game.
That said, he wouldn't mind having another shot at the key play in the field. Lowrie's decision to go to second definitely surprised Guthrie.
"I didn't see the second baseman too close to the bag and I felt like I was close to being safe anyway," Guthrie said. "Little League rules, you're out."
But this isn't Little League and Guthrie, who's been struggling on the mound this season, was all too happy to pitch in any way he could.
"I guess it's nice to do something positive," he said.
Matt Belisle (2-2) earned the win with a scoreless inning of relief. Rafael Betancourt pitched a perfect ninth for his ninth save in 10 tries.
Rodriguez was hit hard, allowing seven runs, four earned, and 10 hits in five innings. He gave up six extra-base hits, including four in a five-run first.
But the lefty settled in after that — as much as he could at Coors Field, anyway. Rodriguez's breaking ball just wasn't dancing in the thin air of the Mile High City. He also had trouble hitting his spots.
"I used my breaking ball and it (didn't) break the same," Rodriguez said. "I don't know. It's different when I use it in other stadiums than here."
NOTES: The Astros hadn't played a doubleheader since April 13, 2006, at San Francisco. ... Houston fell to 1-4 on its seven-game road trip. ... Lee was 5 for 9 with an RBI on the day.
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school track: Ogden's Sarah Feeny breaks...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Orem football player remains in...
- High school track: Park City's Ben Saarel...
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story priceless,...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 58
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 57
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 55
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 52
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41