Kiichiro Sato, AP
The health care bill signed into law some time ago by President Obama is now shamefully referred to as "Obamacare." I think this should be changed to "Obamacares" because it will provide health care coverage to everybody, not just to those who receive it through their places of employment.
The businesses who help their employees with subsidized insurance policies will most likely pass the expenses on to those who buy their products or use their services. So, who is paying for it? You and I. This being the case, I am now paying for my own health insurance and also support those who are getting help with their payments from their places of work.
Medicare also is not free. Those who are on Medicare have to pay a monthly premium. Medicare also doesn't cover it all. It becomes necessary for those on Medicare to get additional insurance to protect themselves.
The unfortunate thing is that Medicare gets most of the people who need more medical attention in their older years. This being the case, the insurance premiums Medicare receives immediately go out to cover the ones who need it while the regular insurance companies have most of the ones who don't need it until their later years in life. That is why the insurance companies can make profits, while Medicare can't.
Universal health care would, in my opinion, be able to take better care of this problem and help save Medicare.
Albertus Van Dyk
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 73
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 38
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- My view: A global warming solution to... 35