BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — CSU Bakersfield broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Utah baseball team ended its season with a 3-2 loss to the Roadrunners.
CSU Bakersfield tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth. The Utes left two runners on base in both the seventh and ninth innings.
Dylan Christensen led off the bottom of the ninth inning for the Roadrunners with a triple, and scored the game-winner on an RBI single from Andrew Letourneau.
Utah (14-42) was led at the plate by two hits each from Shaun Cooper, Jo Jo Sharrar and Ethan Leiter. Starting pitcher Mitch Watrous threw 5 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits with a season-high seven strikeouts. Tyler Wagner pitched 2 1/3 innings, allowing one run on two hits, earning the loss. Kesley Kondo also made a brief appearance in the sixth inning.
The Utes took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning, with Parker Morin hitting a one-out infield single before Cooper doubled to send home Morin. Sharrar also singled to score Cooper.
CSUB got a run back in the bottom of the fourth after singles from Oscar Sanay and Cael Brockmeyer, plus a walk, to put the Utah lead at 2-1.
The Roadrunners tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single off the bat of Tyler Shryock.
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- Brad Rock: Utes have something to brag about...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Utes play better offensively, tremendous...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 90
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 56
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 38
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30