BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — CSU Bakersfield broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Utah baseball team ended its season with a 3-2 loss to the Roadrunners.
CSU Bakersfield tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth. The Utes left two runners on base in both the seventh and ninth innings.
Dylan Christensen led off the bottom of the ninth inning for the Roadrunners with a triple, and scored the game-winner on an RBI single from Andrew Letourneau.
Utah (14-42) was led at the plate by two hits each from Shaun Cooper, Jo Jo Sharrar and Ethan Leiter. Starting pitcher Mitch Watrous threw 5 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits with a season-high seven strikeouts. Tyler Wagner pitched 2 1/3 innings, allowing one run on two hits, earning the loss. Kesley Kondo also made a brief appearance in the sixth inning.
The Utes took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning, with Parker Morin hitting a one-out infield single before Cooper doubled to send home Morin. Sharrar also singled to score Cooper.
CSUB got a run back in the bottom of the fourth after singles from Oscar Sanay and Cael Brockmeyer, plus a walk, to put the Utah lead at 2-1.
The Roadrunners tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single off the bat of Tyler Shryock.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- Utes want to take away more takeaways at the...
- BYU-Virginia Primer
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44