BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — CSU Bakersfield broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Utah baseball team ended its season with a 3-2 loss to the Roadrunners.
CSU Bakersfield tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth. The Utes left two runners on base in both the seventh and ninth innings.
Dylan Christensen led off the bottom of the ninth inning for the Roadrunners with a triple, and scored the game-winner on an RBI single from Andrew Letourneau.
Utah (14-42) was led at the plate by two hits each from Shaun Cooper, Jo Jo Sharrar and Ethan Leiter. Starting pitcher Mitch Watrous threw 5 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits with a season-high seven strikeouts. Tyler Wagner pitched 2 1/3 innings, allowing one run on two hits, earning the loss. Kesley Kondo also made a brief appearance in the sixth inning.
The Utes took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning, with Parker Morin hitting a one-out infield single before Cooper doubled to send home Morin. Sharrar also singled to score Cooper.
CSUB got a run back in the bottom of the fourth after singles from Oscar Sanay and Cael Brockmeyer, plus a walk, to put the Utah lead at 2-1.
The Roadrunners tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single off the bat of Tyler Shryock.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- At the midway mark, Utes off to best start...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 40
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26