CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Jon Beason has always had one of the strongest voices in the Panthers' locker room.
The middle linebacker proved Friday he can make his presence felt in cyberspace as well.
Beason ripped Alex Smith on Twitter after the San Francisco quarterback pointed to the Panthers' Cam Newton as an example of a quarterback who puts up statistics but doesn't win.
"Alex smith, don't hate on Cam (because) your stats would've gotten u cut if Peyton decided to come 2 San Fran," Beason wrote on Twitter. "Truth b told. That's after a 13-3 yr."
Peyton Manning met with the 49ers this offseason before signing as a free agent with Denver.
In Jim Harbaugh's first year as head coach, the 49ers advanced to the NFC championship game despite finishing 29th in the league in passing. Newton was the NFL's Rookie of the Year and broke Manning's rookie passing record for the 6-10 Panthers.
"I could absolutely care less on yards per game," Smith told reporters last week. "I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you're losing games in the second half, guess what, you're like the Carolina Panthers and you're going no-huddle the entire second half. Yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That's great. You're not winning, though."
San Francisco linebacker Patrick Willis took to Twitter to defend Smith, posting: "Wins are Wins I stand with My Qb Alex Smith and all my teammates. I can't wait for the season."
Unfortunately, the teams will have to wait until the 2013 season to face each other unless they meet in the playoffs. If so, prepare for a lot of chatter online or otherwise.
(c)2012 The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.)
Visit The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.) at www.charlotteobserver.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but will...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- High school track: Top performances from 2015
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Little offense as main players sit out... 101
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 43
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 30
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 13
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but... 13