Charles Dharapak, File, Associated Press
The battle between President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney will be the most expensive presidential contest ever — by a long shot.
There are two main reasons. It's the first time both major-party candidates are declining post-Watergate federal campaign financing — and the spending limits attached. And the proliferation of super PACS is pumping untold millions into the fray on both sides.
So fasten your seat belts and prepare for a howling tempest of broadcast ads, especially if you live in a battleground state.
Obama and Romney were both coming off a week of intensive national fundraising.
Without Democratic primary opposition, Obama had a huge early advantage. But Romneyis starting to catch up as donors begin opening their wallets.
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 14
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7