Jerry Sloan interviews for Bobcats coaching job with Michael Jordan in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan interviewed in Utah for the Charlotte Bobcats coaching position on Friday, meeting with Michael Jordan and other front office staff members.
Asked what made him want to coach the seven-win Bobcats, Sloan dryly replied: "Work."
He went on to say, "They've got a young team, and it will be interesting to see what happens."
Sloan said he hadn't been offered the job. "They might come back, they might not," he said. "I can't judge that. We'll just have to wait and see where it goes from there."
He said the Bobcats didn't say when they would make a decision but "they want to make a decision when they can, and do all their homework."
Sloan retired mid-season in 2011 after repeated conflicts with star guard Deron Williams, who was later traded. His name has been tied to with several job openings since then, including recently with Orlando. Speculation is that he would also be a candidate for the Clippers job, should they fire Vinny Del Negro.
Sloan said he hasn't talked to anyone besides the Bobcats, but "if someone calls and is interested, I'd be willing to do that, but I haven't pursued that." He said he did not contact anyone regarding the Orlando position and that "Michael Jordan is the only person I've talked to about a coaching job. Just so everybody understands, I'm not chasing everything that comes up."
Asked what expectations the management has for the Bobcats, he said, "They do want to see the team win."
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 120
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 68
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 48
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33