Real Salt Lake will host Minnesota Stars FC (NASL) next Tuesday in the U.S. Open Cup third round.
Minnesota advanced to the second round after beating Des Moines Menace (PDL) 2-0 on Tuesday night on the road in the second round of the U.S. Open Cup
With the victory, Minnesota earned the right to host RSL in the third round, but RSL announced that it reached a buyout with Minnesota to host the match next Tuesday at 7 p.m. The U.S. Open Cup is a single-elimination tournament open to all amateur and professional teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer.
Tickets for the match at Rio Tinto Stadium go on sale today and are $15 for the general public and $10 for season ticket holders.
RSL's all-time record in the U.S. Open Cup is 4-7-1. The winner of next Tuesday's match advances to the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals, which RSL has only advanced to twice in franchise history.
Minnesota scored first on Tuesday with a goal midway through the first half, but then shortly before halftime the stars had a man sent off with a red card. Despite playing down a man for 50 minutes, the visiting Stars tacked on an insurance goal in the 80th minute to advance.
Following a weekend off, RSL returns to action this Saturday at home against FC Dallas.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 70
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 40
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31