Real Salt Lake will host Minnesota Stars FC (NASL) next Tuesday in the U.S. Open Cup third round.
Minnesota advanced to the second round after beating Des Moines Menace (PDL) 2-0 on Tuesday night on the road in the second round of the U.S. Open Cup
With the victory, Minnesota earned the right to host RSL in the third round, but RSL announced that it reached a buyout with Minnesota to host the match next Tuesday at 7 p.m. The U.S. Open Cup is a single-elimination tournament open to all amateur and professional teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer.
Tickets for the match at Rio Tinto Stadium go on sale today and are $15 for the general public and $10 for season ticket holders.
RSL's all-time record in the U.S. Open Cup is 4-7-1. The winner of next Tuesday's match advances to the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals, which RSL has only advanced to twice in franchise history.
Minnesota scored first on Tuesday with a goal midway through the first half, but then shortly before halftime the stars had a man sent off with a red card. Despite playing down a man for 50 minutes, the visiting Stars tacked on an insurance goal in the 80th minute to advance.
Following a weekend off, RSL returns to action this Saturday at home against FC Dallas.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 30
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 22
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22