Real Salt Lake will host Minnesota Stars FC (NASL) next Tuesday in the U.S. Open Cup third round.
Minnesota advanced to the second round after beating Des Moines Menace (PDL) 2-0 on Tuesday night on the road in the second round of the U.S. Open Cup
With the victory, Minnesota earned the right to host RSL in the third round, but RSL announced that it reached a buyout with Minnesota to host the match next Tuesday at 7 p.m. The U.S. Open Cup is a single-elimination tournament open to all amateur and professional teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer.
Tickets for the match at Rio Tinto Stadium go on sale today and are $15 for the general public and $10 for season ticket holders.
RSL's all-time record in the U.S. Open Cup is 4-7-1. The winner of next Tuesday's match advances to the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals, which RSL has only advanced to twice in franchise history.
Minnesota scored first on Tuesday with a goal midway through the first half, but then shortly before halftime the stars had a man sent off with a red card. Despite playing down a man for 50 minutes, the visiting Stars tacked on an insurance goal in the 80th minute to advance.
Following a weekend off, RSL returns to action this Saturday at home against FC Dallas.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28