NEW YORK — The New York Knicks and coach Mike Woodson are completing a multiyear deal that could be announced this week, a person with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.
Woodson led the Knicks to an 18-6 record and a first-round playoff loss to Miami as interim coach after replacing Mike D'Antoni on March 14. The Knicks' victory in Game 4 of the series ended an NBA-record, 13-game postseason losing streak that dated to 2001.
Top players Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler all endorsed Woodson's return and will get their wish, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the contract is not finished yet. The New York Post reported Tuesday that the sides were committed to getting the deal done before the Memorial Day weekend.
Woodson will become a full-time NBA head coach again for the first time since a six-year run in Atlanta ended in 2010. The Hawks improved their win total in each season, finishing 53-29 in 2009-10, but Woodson wasn't retained after they were swept in the conference semifinals for the second straight year.
WARRIORS UNVEIL PLAN: Sitting on the shore and staring at one of the world's most majestic metropolitan views, Joe Lacob leaned over to hear fellow Golden State Warriors co-owner Peter Guber whisper in his ear.
"Man," Guber said, "we got to do this."
And with that, the franchise's new vision started to come into focus.
The Warriors, NBA Commissioner David Stern and San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee officially announced Tuesday that the Bay Area's only NBA team will try to move back to scenic San Francisco. The earliest the team could leave Oakland would be 2017, when it can escape its lease at Oracle Arena.
The still-in-the-works project has a spot picked out that few can match.
The Warriors unveiled some of the plans for the estimated $500 million, privately funded arena on a sun-soaked day at Piers 30-32. The waterfront site near the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge — one of the most beautiful views in one of the world's most beautiful cities — is just blocks from the Giants' ballpark and the downtown financial district.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36