TAYLORSVILLE – Through the better part of seven innings, Roy's softball senior leaders provided some sloppy play only to redeem themselves when it counted. Senior Jordynn Barrera belted a two-run homer in the bottom of the seventh to send it to extra innings with fellow senior Jamie Aiken providing the game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the eighth to give Roy a 6-5 victory over Bountiful and a berth against Murray in the winner's bracket semifinal.
"I had some seniors mess up and play some pretty sketchy ball, but then it was those same seniors who came back and figured out a way to win this, so I'm proud of them." said Roy Coach Amanda Koford.
Bountiful got off to a quick 2-0 lead with Roy storming back in the bottom of the third to take a 3-2 lead. Payton Palmer and Caylie Phelts contributed RBI singles in the inning with Barrera contributing an RBI sacrifice fly.
Baily Hart brought the Braves back in the fifth, capping off a three-run inning with a two-run double to give Bountiful a 5-3 lead. Their 5-3 margin held until the bottom of the seventh inning when Barrera approached the plate with one on and one out. Barrera quickly had two strikes go against her, but remained calm and confident.
"Those are my favorite situations," said Barrera. "When you're down and you need to be clutch – that's when I play my best I think … I was so ready for it."
Barrera calmly sent the pitch over the left field fence to send the game to extra innings.
"How clutch was that?" said Koford about the home run. "(Barrera) knows how important she is to this team and I think I speak for the entire team when I say there is no one we'd rather have up to bat (in that situation.)"
Bountiful seemingly took a one-run lead in the top of the eighth after Payton Hart brought Sydney Austin home on a sacrifice fly, but the umpire ruled that Austin left early – calling her out and sending a tie game to the bottom of the eighth.
That's when Aiken provided her game-winning RBI single with a hard-hit ball getting in between and past the shortstop and third-baseman.
"You can't go into an undefeated game and expect it to be easy," said Koford. "(Bountiful) had a ton of fight in them and luckily we had a little bit more."
With the win Roy moves on the semifinals of the undefeated bracket where it'll take on Murray Wednesday night.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26