SALT LAKE CITY — The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced Tuesday that Francisco "Frankie" Matos has been named hitting coach of the Salt Lake Bees, taking over for interim hitting coach Tyrone Boykin. Matos will join the Bees when the team returns to Salt Lake on Friday.
A member of the Angels organization for six seasons, Matos begins his first Triple-A coaching stint following four seasons as the hitting coach at Double-A Arkansas. He also served as hitting coach for rookie-level Orem in 2007 and Single-A Rancho Cucamonga in 2008 before his promotion to Arkansas in 2009.
The 43-year-old Matos enjoyed a 16-year playing career in professional baseball as a second baseman. He was signed as a free agent by the Oakland Athletics in 1987 and appeared in 14 games with the A's in 1994. Matos spent 1989-94 in the A's organization, while also having played for affiliates of Pittsburgh, New York (Yankees), Montreal, Baltimore and Seattle from 1995 through 2000. From 2001-04, he played in the Mexican League and for four independent league teams until retiring following the 2004 season.
Matos recorded a career minor league batting average of .295 with 29 home runs and 515 RBI. In eight seasons in Triple-A, he posted a .299 average.
A native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Matos resides in Huntsville, Ala. in the offseason with his wife, Susan.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 64
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22