Tom Smart, Deseret News
MORGAN SUMMERS, Bear River, softball: Senior center fielder Morgan Summers is the spark that gets the five-time 3A state champions started.
"I feel like as Morgan goes, so goes the team," said Bear River head coach Calvin Bingham. "If she gets on, it seems like good things happen for us. It's tough to keep us from scoring."
Summers is so fast, she's only been thrown out twice all season and she often beats the throw to first. She had her first grand slam home run in the team's semi-final victory over Snow Canyon.
The honor student works as hard in the class room as she does on the field and will play at UVU next year.
"She has tremendous natural ability," Bingham said. "She's an exceptional athlete and she works very hard."
BRAD NYE, Davis, track: It's only appropriate that Nye, who holds the nation's best time in the mile this year, would end his Davis High career with a bang.
Hampered slightly by a hamstring strain, the senior won the 800M, 1,600M and 3,200M at the track & field state championships at BYU last weekend.
Only his 3,200 meter time was a season high, but that didn't concern him one bit. He was focused entirely on staying healthy and racking up points for the Darts, who won their second straight 5A state title.
Nye has been invited to compete against some of the nation's top high school runners at the Adidas Dream Mile in New York City on June 9.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 51
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 32