Tom Smart, Deseret News
MORGAN SUMMERS, Bear River, softball: Senior center fielder Morgan Summers is the spark that gets the five-time 3A state champions started.
"I feel like as Morgan goes, so goes the team," said Bear River head coach Calvin Bingham. "If she gets on, it seems like good things happen for us. It's tough to keep us from scoring."
Summers is so fast, she's only been thrown out twice all season and she often beats the throw to first. She had her first grand slam home run in the team's semi-final victory over Snow Canyon.
The honor student works as hard in the class room as she does on the field and will play at UVU next year.
"She has tremendous natural ability," Bingham said. "She's an exceptional athlete and she works very hard."
BRAD NYE, Davis, track: It's only appropriate that Nye, who holds the nation's best time in the mile this year, would end his Davis High career with a bang.
Hampered slightly by a hamstring strain, the senior won the 800M, 1,600M and 3,200M at the track & field state championships at BYU last weekend.
Only his 3,200 meter time was a season high, but that didn't concern him one bit. He was focused entirely on staying healthy and racking up points for the Darts, who won their second straight 5A state title.
Nye has been invited to compete against some of the nation's top high school runners at the Adidas Dream Mile in New York City on June 9.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 77
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35