Brad Rock: Rock on: Watch out, Bronco; here comes NCAA
MUM'S THE WORD
Ex-Ute coach Urban Meyer has only been at Ohio State a few months, but already he's run into problems with the NCAA.
According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Meyer was talking to prep star Noah Spencer's coach before a game, last year, when Spencer walked by and said something to Meyer, who responded: "Good luck."
That, according to the NCAA, is a secondary violation.
This just in: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall is being investigated for saying "yes" after being asked by a drive-through attendant if he wanted fries with that.
Hawaii football coach Norm Chow — a former BYU assistant — certainly isn't singing "Rise and Shout" anymore.
When returned missionary Michael Wadsworth requested a release from the Warriors so he could transfer to BYU, Chow refused. Chow, a Mormon, understands BYU has a recruiting advantage with LDS players.
So he released Wadsworth to speak with any school except BYU.
Which seems to indicate two things.
First, Hawaii and BYU are still rivals.
Second, not all Mormons are BYU fans.
Sports Illustrated cover star Jabari Parker told the magazine he is thinking of an LDS mission, but hasn't fully decided.
"I want to go. But I have doubts," he said. "The NBA is the biggest dream of basketball players, and I'm no different."
Parker is not only a college basketball coach's dream, but an LDS mission president's dream, too.
Talk about a smooth door approach: "Hi, I'm Elder Jabari Parker. How much do you know about my Sports Illustrated cover story, and would you like to know more?"
The Seattle Storm committed 39 turnovers in an 86-60 WNBA exhibition loss to the Tulsa Shock, last week.
Said Seattle coach Brian Agler: "We need to take better care of the basketball."
And all along Rock On thought it they were playing hackysack.
The Washington Nationals are offering an eight-pound burger on their concessions menu.
Sources say the $59 gut-buster is actually designed to feed eight adults, or C.C. Sabathia, whoever gets in line first.
IMAGE IS ALL
Coaches in the Lingerie Football League's recent All-Star game got into a scuffle.
Sources say league officials acted quickly, noting they wouldn't want to condone anything that might damage the league's reputation.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16