Brad Rock: Rock on: Watch out, Bronco; here comes NCAA
MUM'S THE WORD
Ex-Ute coach Urban Meyer has only been at Ohio State a few months, but already he's run into problems with the NCAA.
According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Meyer was talking to prep star Noah Spencer's coach before a game, last year, when Spencer walked by and said something to Meyer, who responded: "Good luck."
That, according to the NCAA, is a secondary violation.
This just in: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall is being investigated for saying "yes" after being asked by a drive-through attendant if he wanted fries with that.
Hawaii football coach Norm Chow — a former BYU assistant — certainly isn't singing "Rise and Shout" anymore.
When returned missionary Michael Wadsworth requested a release from the Warriors so he could transfer to BYU, Chow refused. Chow, a Mormon, understands BYU has a recruiting advantage with LDS players.
So he released Wadsworth to speak with any school except BYU.
Which seems to indicate two things.
First, Hawaii and BYU are still rivals.
Second, not all Mormons are BYU fans.
Sports Illustrated cover star Jabari Parker told the magazine he is thinking of an LDS mission, but hasn't fully decided.
"I want to go. But I have doubts," he said. "The NBA is the biggest dream of basketball players, and I'm no different."
Parker is not only a college basketball coach's dream, but an LDS mission president's dream, too.
Talk about a smooth door approach: "Hi, I'm Elder Jabari Parker. How much do you know about my Sports Illustrated cover story, and would you like to know more?"
The Seattle Storm committed 39 turnovers in an 86-60 WNBA exhibition loss to the Tulsa Shock, last week.
Said Seattle coach Brian Agler: "We need to take better care of the basketball."
And all along Rock On thought it they were playing hackysack.
The Washington Nationals are offering an eight-pound burger on their concessions menu.
Sources say the $59 gut-buster is actually designed to feed eight adults, or C.C. Sabathia, whoever gets in line first.
IMAGE IS ALL
Coaches in the Lingerie Football League's recent All-Star game got into a scuffle.
Sources say league officials acted quickly, noting they wouldn't want to condone anything that might damage the league's reputation.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 47
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33