Utah Jazz's Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward officially named to USA Men's Select Team
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Basketball today announced that Utah Jazz forward/center Derrick Favors and forward Gordon Hayward were among 13 players chosen for the 2012 USA Men's Select Team that will train against the 2012 USA Basketball Men's National Team during its July 6-12 training camp in Las Vegas.
The Jazz and San Antonio Spurs were the only two teams with multiple players selected.
Favors (6-10, 248, Georgia Tech) played in 65 games (nine starts) during his first full season in Utah, averaging 8.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.0 block in 21.2 minutes per game.
Hayward (6-8, 210, Butler) was one of two Jazz players to appear in all 66 games (58 starts) in 2011-12, averaging 11.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 30.5 minutes during his second NBA season.
"The USA Select Team was a vital part of the USA Men's National Team's training in 2007, 2008 and 2010, and again in 2012 we'll utilize this team of select NBA players to help get our National Team ready for the very competitive summer that is ahead of us," said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman.
"Being chosen for the Select Team is quite an honor, and it's an important step in becoming involved in USA Basketball's National Team program in the future. In the past, current national team finalists like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, LaMarcus Aldridge, Andre Iguodala, as well as many other outstanding players got their USA National Team start through the Select Team."
Other players named to the squad include: Ryan Anderson (Orlando Magic/California); DeJuan Blair (San Antonio Spurs/Pittsburgh); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings/Kentucky); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors/USC); Paul George (Indiana Pacers/Fresno State); Taj Gibson (Chicago Bulls/USC); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers/Duke); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs/San Diego State); Jeremy Lin (New York Knicks/Harvard); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors/Washington State); and John Wall (Washington Wizards/Kentucky).
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25