Utah Jazz's Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward officially named to USA Men's Select Team
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Basketball today announced that Utah Jazz forward/center Derrick Favors and forward Gordon Hayward were among 13 players chosen for the 2012 USA Men's Select Team that will train against the 2012 USA Basketball Men's National Team during its July 6-12 training camp in Las Vegas.
The Jazz and San Antonio Spurs were the only two teams with multiple players selected.
Favors (6-10, 248, Georgia Tech) played in 65 games (nine starts) during his first full season in Utah, averaging 8.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.0 block in 21.2 minutes per game.
Hayward (6-8, 210, Butler) was one of two Jazz players to appear in all 66 games (58 starts) in 2011-12, averaging 11.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 30.5 minutes during his second NBA season.
"The USA Select Team was a vital part of the USA Men's National Team's training in 2007, 2008 and 2010, and again in 2012 we'll utilize this team of select NBA players to help get our National Team ready for the very competitive summer that is ahead of us," said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman.
"Being chosen for the Select Team is quite an honor, and it's an important step in becoming involved in USA Basketball's National Team program in the future. In the past, current national team finalists like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, LaMarcus Aldridge, Andre Iguodala, as well as many other outstanding players got their USA National Team start through the Select Team."
Other players named to the squad include: Ryan Anderson (Orlando Magic/California); DeJuan Blair (San Antonio Spurs/Pittsburgh); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings/Kentucky); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors/USC); Paul George (Indiana Pacers/Fresno State); Taj Gibson (Chicago Bulls/USC); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers/Duke); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs/San Diego State); Jeremy Lin (New York Knicks/Harvard); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors/Washington State); and John Wall (Washington Wizards/Kentucky).
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16