DES MOINES — Back-to-back home runs by Luis Jimenez and Paul McAnulty in the seventh inning lifted the Salt Lake Bees to a 2-1 win over the Iowa Cubs on Sunday afternoon.
With one out in the seventh and the Bees down 1-0, Jimenez hooked a 2-2 pitch from Iowa's Nate Robertson just inside the left field foul pole to tie the game. On Robertson's next pitch, McAnulty lined one over the right field wall to give Salt Lake the lead.
Garrett Richards (5-1) picked up the win, as he went 6 2/3 innings and allowed just one run on five hits with a season high equaling eight strikeouts and a season high six walks. Three Salt Lake relievers combined for 2 1/3 scoreless innings with Bobby Cassevah working a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his third save of the season. The Bees managed just three hits; a single and homer for Jimenez and the home run by McAnulty. With the win, Salt Lake took the final three games to claim the series victory over Iowa.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20