DES MOINES — Back-to-back home runs by Luis Jimenez and Paul McAnulty in the seventh inning lifted the Salt Lake Bees to a 2-1 win over the Iowa Cubs on Sunday afternoon.
With one out in the seventh and the Bees down 1-0, Jimenez hooked a 2-2 pitch from Iowa's Nate Robertson just inside the left field foul pole to tie the game. On Robertson's next pitch, McAnulty lined one over the right field wall to give Salt Lake the lead.
Garrett Richards (5-1) picked up the win, as he went 6 2/3 innings and allowed just one run on five hits with a season high equaling eight strikeouts and a season high six walks. Three Salt Lake relievers combined for 2 1/3 scoreless innings with Bobby Cassevah working a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his third save of the season. The Bees managed just three hits; a single and homer for Jimenez and the home run by McAnulty. With the win, Salt Lake took the final three games to claim the series victory over Iowa.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45