DES MOINES — Back-to-back home runs by Luis Jimenez and Paul McAnulty in the seventh inning lifted the Salt Lake Bees to a 2-1 win over the Iowa Cubs on Sunday afternoon.
With one out in the seventh and the Bees down 1-0, Jimenez hooked a 2-2 pitch from Iowa's Nate Robertson just inside the left field foul pole to tie the game. On Robertson's next pitch, McAnulty lined one over the right field wall to give Salt Lake the lead.
Garrett Richards (5-1) picked up the win, as he went 6 2/3 innings and allowed just one run on five hits with a season high equaling eight strikeouts and a season high six walks. Three Salt Lake relievers combined for 2 1/3 scoreless innings with Bobby Cassevah working a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his third save of the season. The Bees managed just three hits; a single and homer for Jimenez and the home run by McAnulty. With the win, Salt Lake took the final three games to claim the series victory over Iowa.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28