DES MOINES — Back-to-back home runs by Luis Jimenez and Paul McAnulty in the seventh inning lifted the Salt Lake Bees to a 2-1 win over the Iowa Cubs on Sunday afternoon.
With one out in the seventh and the Bees down 1-0, Jimenez hooked a 2-2 pitch from Iowa's Nate Robertson just inside the left field foul pole to tie the game. On Robertson's next pitch, McAnulty lined one over the right field wall to give Salt Lake the lead.
Garrett Richards (5-1) picked up the win, as he went 6 2/3 innings and allowed just one run on five hits with a season high equaling eight strikeouts and a season high six walks. Three Salt Lake relievers combined for 2 1/3 scoreless innings with Bobby Cassevah working a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his third save of the season. The Bees managed just three hits; a single and homer for Jimenez and the home run by McAnulty. With the win, Salt Lake took the final three games to claim the series victory over Iowa.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25