Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The long ball buoyed Stanford to a 4-1 victory over the Utah baseball team on Saturday afternoon.
Utah had eight hits compared to 10 for Stanford, but the Cardinal hit two home runs for its first three runs of the game, a solo home run in the third inning off the bat of Danny Diekroeger, and a two-run shot in the sixth from Alex Blandino.
Utah pitcher Mitch Watrous allowed just three runs on seven hits with two strikeouts over 5 2?3 innings. Tyler Wagner pitched the final 3 1?3 innings, surrendering one run on three hits.
Utah was led at the plate by two hits each from Tyler Relf, Gavin Green and Cory Hunt.
Stanford took a 4-0 lead in the seventh inning after Brian Ragira's RBI ground out with the bases loaded. The Utes got their lone run of the game in the bottom of the inning, after a double from Ethan Leiter and single from Hunt, James Brooks drove in Leiter on a ground out.
Utah stranded nine runners on base during the game, while Stanford left eight.
Stanford starter Stephen Piscotty pitched 6 1?3 innings, allowing one run on seven hits with four strikeouts. AJ Vanegas earned the save after allowing just one hit over the final 2 2?3 innings.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20