Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The long ball buoyed Stanford to a 4-1 victory over the Utah baseball team on Saturday afternoon.
Utah had eight hits compared to 10 for Stanford, but the Cardinal hit two home runs for its first three runs of the game, a solo home run in the third inning off the bat of Danny Diekroeger, and a two-run shot in the sixth from Alex Blandino.
Utah pitcher Mitch Watrous allowed just three runs on seven hits with two strikeouts over 5 2?3 innings. Tyler Wagner pitched the final 3 1?3 innings, surrendering one run on three hits.
Utah was led at the plate by two hits each from Tyler Relf, Gavin Green and Cory Hunt.
Stanford took a 4-0 lead in the seventh inning after Brian Ragira's RBI ground out with the bases loaded. The Utes got their lone run of the game in the bottom of the inning, after a double from Ethan Leiter and single from Hunt, James Brooks drove in Leiter on a ground out.
Utah stranded nine runners on base during the game, while Stanford left eight.
Stanford starter Stephen Piscotty pitched 6 1?3 innings, allowing one run on seven hits with four strikeouts. AJ Vanegas earned the save after allowing just one hit over the final 2 2?3 innings.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29