Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The long ball buoyed Stanford to a 4-1 victory over the Utah baseball team on Saturday afternoon.
Utah had eight hits compared to 10 for Stanford, but the Cardinal hit two home runs for its first three runs of the game, a solo home run in the third inning off the bat of Danny Diekroeger, and a two-run shot in the sixth from Alex Blandino.
Utah pitcher Mitch Watrous allowed just three runs on seven hits with two strikeouts over 5 2?3 innings. Tyler Wagner pitched the final 3 1?3 innings, surrendering one run on three hits.
Utah was led at the plate by two hits each from Tyler Relf, Gavin Green and Cory Hunt.
Stanford took a 4-0 lead in the seventh inning after Brian Ragira's RBI ground out with the bases loaded. The Utes got their lone run of the game in the bottom of the inning, after a double from Ethan Leiter and single from Hunt, James Brooks drove in Leiter on a ground out.
Utah stranded nine runners on base during the game, while Stanford left eight.
Stanford starter Stephen Piscotty pitched 6 1?3 innings, allowing one run on seven hits with four strikeouts. AJ Vanegas earned the save after allowing just one hit over the final 2 2?3 innings.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18