Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The long ball buoyed Stanford to a 4-1 victory over the Utah baseball team on Saturday afternoon.
Utah had eight hits compared to 10 for Stanford, but the Cardinal hit two home runs for its first three runs of the game, a solo home run in the third inning off the bat of Danny Diekroeger, and a two-run shot in the sixth from Alex Blandino.
Utah pitcher Mitch Watrous allowed just three runs on seven hits with two strikeouts over 5 2?3 innings. Tyler Wagner pitched the final 3 1?3 innings, surrendering one run on three hits.
Utah was led at the plate by two hits each from Tyler Relf, Gavin Green and Cory Hunt.
Stanford took a 4-0 lead in the seventh inning after Brian Ragira's RBI ground out with the bases loaded. The Utes got their lone run of the game in the bottom of the inning, after a double from Ethan Leiter and single from Hunt, James Brooks drove in Leiter on a ground out.
Utah stranded nine runners on base during the game, while Stanford left eight.
Stanford starter Stephen Piscotty pitched 6 1?3 innings, allowing one run on seven hits with four strikeouts. AJ Vanegas earned the save after allowing just one hit over the final 2 2?3 innings.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28