DES MOINES, IOWA — Matt Shoemaker pitched six strong innings and the Bees belted four solo home runs, as Salt Lake defeated the Iowa Cubs 6-1 on Saturday night.
Shoemaker (3-3) snapped a personal three game losing streak, as he went six innings and allowed just one unearned run on two hits with five strikeouts and one walk. Jeremy Berg, Matt Meyer and Francisco Rodriguez combined to work three scoreless innings to close out the game.
The Bees were down 1-0 in the second when they took the lead on an RBI single by Drew Heid and a sacrifice fly by Matt Long. Paul McAnulty led off the fourth inning with the 150th home run of his minor league career to make it 3-1.
Kole Calhoun and Efren Navarro hit back-to-back homers to lead off the eighth and Ed Lucas closed out the scoring with a bases empty blast. McAnulty had a season high four hits, including a pair of doubles, and one run batted in.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30