DES MOINES, IOWA — Matt Shoemaker pitched six strong innings and the Bees belted four solo home runs, as Salt Lake defeated the Iowa Cubs 6-1 on Saturday night.
Shoemaker (3-3) snapped a personal three game losing streak, as he went six innings and allowed just one unearned run on two hits with five strikeouts and one walk. Jeremy Berg, Matt Meyer and Francisco Rodriguez combined to work three scoreless innings to close out the game.
The Bees were down 1-0 in the second when they took the lead on an RBI single by Drew Heid and a sacrifice fly by Matt Long. Paul McAnulty led off the fourth inning with the 150th home run of his minor league career to make it 3-1.
Kole Calhoun and Efren Navarro hit back-to-back homers to lead off the eighth and Ed Lucas closed out the scoring with a bases empty blast. McAnulty had a season high four hits, including a pair of doubles, and one run batted in.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34