DES MOINES, IOWA — Matt Shoemaker pitched six strong innings and the Bees belted four solo home runs, as Salt Lake defeated the Iowa Cubs 6-1 on Saturday night.
Shoemaker (3-3) snapped a personal three game losing streak, as he went six innings and allowed just one unearned run on two hits with five strikeouts and one walk. Jeremy Berg, Matt Meyer and Francisco Rodriguez combined to work three scoreless innings to close out the game.
The Bees were down 1-0 in the second when they took the lead on an RBI single by Drew Heid and a sacrifice fly by Matt Long. Paul McAnulty led off the fourth inning with the 150th home run of his minor league career to make it 3-1.
Kole Calhoun and Efren Navarro hit back-to-back homers to lead off the eighth and Ed Lucas closed out the scoring with a bases empty blast. McAnulty had a season high four hits, including a pair of doubles, and one run batted in.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21