High school boys track championship: Pine View ends long title drought
Park City's Ben Saarel finished the meet with three individual titles, winning the 800 and 3,200 meters on Saturday to go along with his 1,600 triumph on Friday.
The 2A team title was still up grabs heading into the final event of the day, but Grand logged a second-place finish in the 4x400 ending the meet with 104 points and Richfield finishing in second with 94 points.
"It feels amazing," said Grand's Zak Hazlett. "Running across the finish line knowing that we beat Richfield, that's basically what we had to do. I'm friends with all these guys, I've been racing with them all year."
Grand's Spencer Smith picked up a very important second-place finish in the shot put that helped the Red Devils counter Richfield's strength in the long jump. Wesley Rodda also notched a pair of second-place finishes in the 100 and 200, with Enterprise's Sage Palmer winning both events.
In 1A, Duchesne's depth was too much as it tallied 121 team points, with Rich and Monticello tying for second with 77 points.
"It feels great, back-to-back, one of the best feelings you can have," said Duchesne's Macoy Young. "We had a lot of guys. Our freshman stepped up, our sophomores, we were good all the way through."
Saturday's high school state championship teams:
TRACK AND FIELD
5A boys — Davis; 5A girls — Davis
4A boys — Maple Mountain; 4A girls — Orem
3A boys — Pine View; 3A girls — Ogden
2A boys — Grand; 2A girls — North Summit
1A boys — Duchesne; 1A girls — Rich
4A boys — Timpview
3A boys — Park City
3A — Snow Canyon
D1 boys — Juan Diego
D1 girls —Bingham
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 33
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20