NEW YORK — Joey Votto hit a three-run homer, Jose Arredondo worked out of a ninth-inning jam for his first major league save and the Cincinnati Reds held off the New York Yankees 6-5 on Saturday.
New York scored twice off Sean Marshall in the ninth, but Reds manager Dusty Baker pulled his regular closer in favor of Arredondo and he got the job done.
Brandon Phillips got Cincinnati started with a run-scoring single and the Reds overcame Ivan Nova's career-high 12 strikeouts to improve to 2-2 during their five-game visit to both New York ballparks this week.
Making his first start at Yankee Stadium, Homer Bailey (2-3) pitched effectively into the seventh inning for the second consecutive outing. Cincinnati then turned it over to its normally lights-out bullpen and held on to hand New York its fourth loss in five games.
GIANTS 4, ATHLETICS 0: At San Francisco, Ryan Vogelsong allowed one hit in seven scoreless innings and played a key role in San Francisco's go-ahead rally as the Giants beat the Oakland Athletics for the 11th straight time at home.
PIRATES 4, TIGERS 3: At Detroit, Andrew McCutchen hit a pair of two-run homers and A.J. Burnett pitched six solid innings.
ASTROS 6, RANGERS 5: At Houston, Justin Maxwell hit one of Houston's season-high three homers to put his team on top in the fifth inning.
PADRES 3, ANGELS 2: At San Diego, Alexi Amarista scored San Diego's first two runs against his former team and then doubled in the go-ahead run off Dan Haren in the seventh inning.
DODGERS 6, CARDINALS 0: At Los Angeles, Clayton Kershaw outdueled Jake Westbrook with a six-hitter for his fourth career shutout.
RED SOX 7, PHILLIES 5: At Philadelphia, David Ortiz homered, singled and drove in two runs to help the Boston Red Sox snap the Phillies' six-game winning streak.
BLUE JAYS 2, METS 0: At Toronto, Brandon Morrow pitched his second shutout in four starts, blanking the Mets on three hits.
MARINERS 10, ROCKIES 3: At Denver, Jason Vargas threw seven strong innings and Kyle Seager homered and drove in three runs.
RAYS 5, BRAVES 2: At St. Petersburg, Fla., Alex Cobb won his first start of the season and Matt Joyce hit a grand slam.
TWINS 5, BREWERS 4 (11 INNINGS): At Milwaukee, Trevor Plouffe hit a solo home run in the top of the 11th inning to lift the Minnesota Twins.
INDIANS 2, MARLINS 0: At Cleveland, Jeanmar Gomez pitched three-hit ball into the seventh inning and Asdrubal Cabrera homered.
ROYALS 7, DIAMONDBACKS 3: At Kansas City, Mo., Billy Butler and Mike Moustakas homered to help Bruce Chen win his third straight start.
WHITE SOX 7, CUBS 4: At Chicago, John Danks pitched shutout ball into the seventh for his first win in nearly a month and Dayan Viciedo, A.J. Pierzynski and Adam Dunn homered.
ORIOLES 6, NATIONALS 5: At Washington, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis hit two-run homers and the Baltimore Orioles matched a season high with their fifth straight win.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 28
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25