HERRIMAN — In a few weeks, a stretch of the Mountain View Corridor will be open to drivers, which will help ease traffic congestion.
On June 2, UDOT will open a two-mile section of the Mountain View Corridor in Herriman and Riverton, from 12600 South to Rosecrest Drive (14400 South.)
The corridor is similar to a divided highway with one-way northbound and southbound roads.
UDOT released a video showing drivers how to get around using the new paved roads.
A ribbon-cutting will be held followed by a Fun Run. Activities will be at Foothills Park, 14090 S. 4830 West in Riverton, beginning at 10 a.m.
Along with the opening is a closure. On June 4, 4800 West will permanently close from Juniper Crest Road to Cedar Point Peak Drive.
Matt Thompson's back yard runs along that street and he said he will be glad to see less traffic because he was tired of hearing drivers speeding in the area at 2 a.m. Opening up a bigger road away from his home will make living in his neighborhood quieter and safer, he said.
"I think a lot of people are looking forward to having the extra access to be able to get around at a little higher speed instead of having to cut through neighborhoods," he said.
The new Mountain View Corridor will connect to those roads. Drivers south of 13400 South can connect to the northbound section of the Mountain View Corridor via Rosecrest Drive.
The remainder of the project is anticipated to open by the end of the year.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 15