AsherSwan Daily News, All
EUGENE, Ore. — Junior Tori Almond struck out eight for the Cougars but No. 11 Oregon used a big inning to win 4-1, eliminating BYU from the NCAA tournament.
BYU finishes with a record of 45-15, tied for the second-most wins in program history, one shy of the 2010 team's 46 victories.
Pitching her second-straight complete game, Almond kept the Cougars in the game, but as was the case in the two teams' previous matchup on Friday, a single big inning for Oregon proved to be the difference.
With a runner on second and one out, Oregon's Allie Burger put down a bunt. Cougar first baseman Katie Manuma made a good throw to second baseman Stacie Toney covering the bag that looked like it was there well before the runner, but Burger was called safe.
Instead of the ensuing Duck batter's pop-up being the third out, the safe call at first gave Oregon star hitter Samantha Pappas a chance to hit and she delivered with a two-RBI double. One pitch later, two more runs came in on a home run to give the Ducks a 4-0 lead.
"The breaks just didn't go our way, and when they went Oregon's way they took advantage," said BYU coach Gordon Eakin.
BYU scored its only run in the bottom of the fifth, with Jessica Dugas scoring from second base on an RBI single by JC Clayton.
Six different Cougars tallied a hit as BYU out-hit Oregon, 6-5.
Eugene Regional All-Tournament Team
C - Kaili Smith, Mississippi State
C - Shelbi Everett, BYU
1B - Karmen Holladay, Portland State
2B - Kaylan Howard, Oregon
3B - Ashlee Brawley, BYU
OF - Jessica Dugas, BYU
OF - Samantha Pappas, Oregon
OF - Janie Takeda, Oregon
UT/DP - Christie Nieto, Oregon
P - Jessica Moore*, Oregon
P - Tori Almond, BYU
SLCC SOFTBALL: At St. George, Chattanooga State Community College forced the if necessary game for the NJCAA national championship with an 8-7 win over the Bruins and then won the title with a 4-1 victory.
INFIELD — Lacye Walker, Chattanooga State Community College; Michal Robertson, Wallace State Community College; Alicia Eger, Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Brooke Budge, Salt Lake Community College; OUTFIELD — Tanisha Anderson, Salt Lake Community College; Whitney Brown, Wallace State Community College; Andrea Dalton, Chattanooga State Community College; BATTERY — Ariel Zimmerman, Salt Lake Community College; Heather Parker, Wallace State Community College; Paige Mathews, State College of Florida; Paige Rowland, Wallace State Community College; UTILITY/DP — Beth Breeden, Chattanooga State Community College
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT
Savanah Webster, Salt Lake Community College
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT
Thomasina Garza, Blinn College
OUTSTANDING PITCHER OF THE TOURNAMENT
Ashlety Czechner, Chattanooga State Community College
KAREN L. SYKES OUTSTANDING COACH OF THE 2012 NJCAA TOURNAMENT
Beth Keylon-Randolph, Chattanooga State Community College
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF THE 2012 NJCAA TOURNAMENT
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 39
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20