BYU rugby wins national championship with 49-42 victory over Arkansas State
BYU captured its second national championship in rugby Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium with a hard-fought 49-42 victory over Arkansas State.
The Cougars also capped a perfect season with a 17-0 record. BYU's only other national title came in 2009.
The Cougars rallied from an early 8-0 deficit to score 15 unanswered points. After ASU tied the game, Shaun Davies and Will Taylor scored back-to-back tries in a two-minute span to propel BYU to a 29-15 advantage.
The Cougars led by that score at halftime.
Paul Lasike, who has a scholarship offer at running back from the football team, scored a try with just under 48 minutes remaining in the match to give the Cougars a 36-18 lead.
BYU went up 46-23 in the 61st minute on a try by Mikey Su'a, but ASU kept battling, and scored its final try in stoppage time.
Each Cougar try was scored by a different player.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in BYU history
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 103
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 42