BYU rugby wins national championship with 49-42 victory over Arkansas State
BYU captured its second national championship in rugby Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium with a hard-fought 49-42 victory over Arkansas State.
The Cougars also capped a perfect season with a 17-0 record. BYU's only other national title came in 2009.
The Cougars rallied from an early 8-0 deficit to score 15 unanswered points. After ASU tied the game, Shaun Davies and Will Taylor scored back-to-back tries in a two-minute span to propel BYU to a 29-15 advantage.
The Cougars led by that score at halftime.
Paul Lasike, who has a scholarship offer at running back from the football team, scored a try with just under 48 minutes remaining in the match to give the Cougars a 36-18 lead.
BYU went up 46-23 in the 61st minute on a try by Mikey Su'a, but ASU kept battling, and scored its final try in stoppage time.
Each Cougar try was scored by a different player.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 82
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31