BYU rugby wins national championship with 49-42 victory over Arkansas State
BYU captured its second national championship in rugby Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium with a hard-fought 49-42 victory over Arkansas State.
The Cougars also capped a perfect season with a 17-0 record. BYU's only other national title came in 2009.
The Cougars rallied from an early 8-0 deficit to score 15 unanswered points. After ASU tied the game, Shaun Davies and Will Taylor scored back-to-back tries in a two-minute span to propel BYU to a 29-15 advantage.
The Cougars led by that score at halftime.
Paul Lasike, who has a scholarship offer at running back from the football team, scored a try with just under 48 minutes remaining in the match to give the Cougars a 36-18 lead.
BYU went up 46-23 in the 61st minute on a try by Mikey Su'a, but ASU kept battling, and scored its final try in stoppage time.
Each Cougar try was scored by a different player.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- 3A boys state tournament quarterfinals...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 89
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 55
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 29