BYU rugby wins national championship with 49-42 victory over Arkansas State
BYU captured its second national championship in rugby Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium with a hard-fought 49-42 victory over Arkansas State.
The Cougars also capped a perfect season with a 17-0 record. BYU's only other national title came in 2009.
The Cougars rallied from an early 8-0 deficit to score 15 unanswered points. After ASU tied the game, Shaun Davies and Will Taylor scored back-to-back tries in a two-minute span to propel BYU to a 29-15 advantage.
The Cougars led by that score at halftime.
Paul Lasike, who has a scholarship offer at running back from the football team, scored a try with just under 48 minutes remaining in the match to give the Cougars a 36-18 lead.
BYU went up 46-23 in the 61st minute on a try by Mikey Su'a, but ASU kept battling, and scored its final try in stoppage time.
Each Cougar try was scored by a different player.
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive meltdown...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 126
- Utah's Devontae Booker reportedly... 72
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 45
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 37
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 36
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35