The Bruins offensively got all they needed from designated player Meagan Neilson, who went two for three with two RBIs and one run scored. The only offense from the Buccaneers came from third baseman Kristina Davila who hit a solo home run in the second inning.
The Buccaneers left four runners stranded while the Bruins left six on base. Blinn starter Kaci Federwisch went 41/3 innings, giving up six runs, five earned, walking one, and striking out four.
BYU GOLF: At Palo Alto, Calif., BYU's tandem of Zac Blair and Justin Keiley used momentum from round one to spark solid scores in round two at the NCAA Regionals on Friday.
Blair matched his first round score with a second round 4-under 66, but still slipped into second place, one stroke off the lead.
Keiley, who shot 1-over in round one, shot a 2-under 68, moving from 40th to 24th and is just one stroke outside of the top 20.
Place Name Score
T2 Zac Blair
T24 Justin Keiley
UVU GOLF: At Palo Alto, Calif., Utah Valley University's Mason Casper fired a 1-under-par 69 and moved up 12 spots Friday after Day 2 of the NCAA Regionals at Stanford Golf Course.
Casper shot an opening-round 75 and was in a tie for 63 before Friday's under-par round.
Casper started on the back nine and dropped to +6 for the tournament with a bogey on the par-4 11 (his second hole). The rest of the way he had 14 pars and two birdies to shoot in red numbers. He birdie the par-4 15th and par-4 eighth.
The low five teams from the 13-team regional as well as the low scorer not affiliated with one of the five qualifying teams will advance to the NCAA Championships to be held at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif., May 29-June 3.
California's Michael Kim leads the tournament at -9 after shooting a second round 64.
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20