The Dick Howser Trophy, given in memory of the former Florida State University All-America shortstop and major league player and manager, who died of brain cancer in 1987, is regarded by many as college baseball's most prestigious award. Criteria for consideration of the trophy include performance on the field, leadership, moral character and courage, qualities that were exemplified by Dick Howser's life.
Dick Howser Award Semifinalists
Mark Appel, P, Stanford
Robert Benincasa, RP, Florida State
Sean Bignall, OF, Arkansas-Little Rock
Trent Blank, P, Baylor
Austin Elkins, 2B, Dallas Baptist
Marty Gantt, OF, College of Charleston
Marco Gonzales, UT, Gonzaga
Andrew Heaney, P, Oklahoma State
Brock Hebert, 2B, Southeastern Louisiana
D.J. Hicks, 1B, UCF
Goose Kallunki, 1B, Utah Valley
Daniel Kassouf, DH, Appalachian State
Stefan Lopez, RP, Southeastern Louisiana
Michael Lorenzen, UT, Cal State Fullerton
Josh Ludy, C, Baylor
Luke Maile, C, Kentucky
Jamodrick McGruder, 2B, Texas Tech
Trenton Moses, 3B, Southeast Missouri
Chris O'Grady, RP, George Mason
D.J. Petersen, 3B, New Mexico
Nick Petree, P, Missouri State
Kevin Plawecki, C, Purdue
Danny Poma, OF, Hofstra
James Ramsey, OF, Florida State
Matthew Reckling, P, Rice
Carlos Rodon, P, NC State
Chris Rowley, P, Army
Raph Rhymes, OF, LSU
Zach Stephens, 1B, Tennessee Tech
Chris Stratton, P, Mississippi State
Ross Stripling, P, Texas A&M
Michael Wacha, P, Texas A&M
Michael Wagner, RP, San Diego
Alex Yarbrough, 2B, Ole Miss
Mike Zunino, C, Florida
SLCC BASEBALL: At West Jordan, the No. 2 Bruins (45-9, 31-6 SWAC) topped the 'Lopes of Lamar Community College (46-11, 6-4) by a score of 6-4 in NJCAA Division I Western District playoff action. After falling earlier in the day to Western Nevada College (45-16) by a score of 3-2, the Bruins rallied to earn a shot at winning the Division I Western District Championship on Saturday. Having lost to WNC once, the Bruins will need two wins against the Wildcats in order to win the double-elimination tourney.
DIXIE STATE BASEBALL: At Keizer, Ore., Dixie State failed to score with runners in scoring position in the fifth inning and Chico State pushed across four runs to defeat the Red Storm 5-1 in the NCAA West Regional tournament.
Dixie State faces a rematch with UC San Diego at 2 p.m. Saturday in an elimination game. The Tritons eliminated the host Wolves of Western Oregon to stay alive in the regional. The DSC-UCSD winner will turn around and meet Chico State in the Regional Championship at 6 p.m.
SLCC SOFTBALL: At St. George, the Bruins defeated Blinn College 6-1 at the NJCAA Nationals, advancing to play No. 1 seed Chattanooga State Community College.
Bruin starter MaCauley Flint threw a gem, going five innings, allowing one run on two hits, walking one and striking out six. Ariel Zimmerman came on in relief and threw two shutout innings, only allowing two hits and striking out four.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: Logan's Chase Nelson...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 128
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 40
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11