DES MOINES, Iowa — Paul McAnulty's two run double in the tenth inning snapped a 3-3 tie and sent the Salt Lake Bees to a 5-4 win over the Iowa Cubs on Friday night.
With one out in the tenth, Efren Navarro singled, stole second, but could only advance to third on a double by Luis Jimenez. McAnulty then drilled a 2-2 pitch to the wall in right center to bring home both runs. Iowa got one back in the bottom of the tenth, but Juan Rincon got the PCL's RBI leader Anthony Rizzo to fly out to end the game and strand the potential tying run at third and winning run at first.
Ryan Brasier (2-0) picked up the win in relief, while Kevin Jepsen and Bobby Cassevah each tossed a 1-2-3 inning. Starter Greg Smith alllowed just three runs on five hits in six innings with seven strikeouts and two walks. Alberto Rosario and Jimenez each had two hits and one run batted in to lead the Bees, as they have now split the first two games in Des Moines. Former Salt Lake Stingers shortstop Alfredo Amezaga homered for Iowa.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20