Brian Nicholson, El Observador de Utah
Sen. Orrin Hatch is refusing to participate in a prime-time televised debate with his Republican challenger, Dan Liljenquist. Hatch's excuses are hollow and hypocritical.
In 1976, Hatch himself challenged his Republican opponent to a series of televised debates before the primary. Now he's refusing to participate in just one. That's a slap in the face of Utah voters.
Hatch's attitude seems to be, "I don't have to debate because I'm important and powerful and have lots of money." Apparently we the voters are mere pawns in his multi-million-dollar game to hold on to his power. If Hatch is that far detached from the voters and thinks that little of us, our proper response is to vote him out of office.
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of Catholic...
- My view: Have we crippled our kids with a...
- Letter: Good Samaritan
- Robert J. Samuelson: Whatever happened to the...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicos...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a... 69
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence... 51
- George F. Will: The low depths of... 28
- Letter: Good Samaritan 22
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of... 20
- Letter: Inversion concerns 19
- My view: Keystone Pipeline not in... 17
- A. Scott Anderson: Inversions will... 16