Brian Nicholson, El Observador de Utah
Sen. Orrin Hatch is refusing to participate in a prime-time televised debate with his Republican challenger, Dan Liljenquist. Hatch's excuses are hollow and hypocritical.
In 1976, Hatch himself challenged his Republican opponent to a series of televised debates before the primary. Now he's refusing to participate in just one. That's a slap in the face of Utah voters.
Hatch's attitude seems to be, "I don't have to debate because I'm important and powerful and have lots of money." Apparently we the voters are mere pawns in his multi-million-dollar game to hold on to his power. If Hatch is that far detached from the voters and thinks that little of us, our proper response is to vote him out of office.
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 30
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 28
- Letter: Sharing culpability 21
- Letter: Distance from religion 19
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Prisons bring much positive change 13
- Mark Reynolds: Cheap gas prices... 12