He had plenty of company, too, as a bunch of the U.S. Ski Team members slipped in some late spring training runs. Junior world champion Ryan Cochran-Siegle was in attendance and so was Steven Nyman, who's returning to the slopes after missing last season with a torn Achilles.
On the women's side, Stacey Cook, Leanne Smith, Mikaela Shiffrin and Laurenne Ross were among the skiers who tried out a course that was specially designed by speed coach Chip White.
"We're trying to simulate those situations to where we become better at it as a team," said White, who was recently named the U.S. Ski Team's top coach as well as the international Alpine coach of the year. "Hopefully, the results show because of it."
White and his squad are coming off a sensational season in which the women won the downhill standings by a whopping 636 points over Austria. Not only that, but Lindsey Vonn recaptured the overall title and nearly reached the 2,000-point plateau, while Julia Mancuso finished in the top five.
"A tough act to follow," White said. "We're going to do everything we can to put pressure on the rest of the world, because we know they're coming after us."
As for Vonn, White thinks she could eclipse 2,000 points.
"Very achievable for someone of her caliber," he said. "She's proven she is No. 1 in the world and that there's no doubt about it, either."
Ligety is trying to get back to that level as well, where he's No. 1 in the GS again — without a doubt.
"Marcel had an unreal season," Ligety said. "It definitely gives me motivation."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21