Ravell Call, Deseret News
MIDWAY — For Bonneville coach Blair Garner, it was a "perfect ending" at the 4A girls golf tournament Wednesday at Wasatch Mountain State Park Golf Course.
Not only did the Lakers win their second straight 4A title, but Lea Garner, the coach's daughter, was the medalist. She shot a 1-over-par 73, which translated to an 89 in the Stableford scoring system, used for the girls' tournament.
The Lakers won their second straight 4A golf title, edging Region 5 rival Box Elder by seven points in the Stableford scoring system, 241-234.
"Our girls worked so hard, I'm really proud of them," said coach Garner. "It seemed like we had to work so much harder this year. It's a little bit harder when everyone expects you to win."
Besides Lea Garner's 73, the Lakers counted an 85 from Jamie Garner (no relation to Blair and Lea), an 88 by Kenzi Kendell, and a 94 by Tallie Alder. The other Bonneville players were Analee Chadwick (95) and Annika Hunter (98).
"That's really cool to win," said Lea Garner, who had finished second last year. "I just tried to play my own game today."
Garner, who is going to BYU on a scholarship next year, had four birdies on the day and played the front nine in 2-under-par 34. She said she struggled a bit on the back nine, but made some good up-and-downs.
"My approach shots were really good today," she said. "I just tried to keep focused."
Orem's Kim Nyhus and Box Elder's McCall Uyematsu tied for second with scores of 76 (86 in Stableford), while defending champion Monica Yeates of Timpanogos was fourth with a 77 (85).
Rounding out the top 10 among the individuals were Bonneville's Jamie Garner, Box Elder's Mallory Marx, Bonneville's Kendell, Logan's Kathleen Miller, Bountiful's Carly Anderson and Skyline's Alex Marble, Hillcrest's Audrey Kriss and Herriman's Alyssa Colby, who each tied for 10th.
Finishing third behind Bonneville and Box Elder was Orem, followed by Skyline, Timpview, Hillcrest, Highland and Logan.
4A Girls golf
73 — Lea Garner, Bonneville
76 — McCall Uyematsu, Box Elder; Kim Nyhus, Orem
77 — Monica Yates, Timpanogos
84 — Jamie Garner, Bonneville
86 — Mallory Marx, Box Elder
88 — Kenzi Kendell, Bonneville; Kathleen Miller, Logan; Carly Anderson, Bountiful
89 — Alex Marble, Skyline; Audrey Kriss, Hillcrest; Alyssa Colby, Herriman
90 — Andra Walker, Box Elder; Melissa Muir, Skyline; Alex Larsen, Skyline; Alexis Schmid, Skyline; Madi Whitehead, Timpview; Haley Case, Roy
91 — Caitlin Croft, Highland; Janice Kim, Logan
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45