Our take: The Dalai Lama was in London recently to receive a Templeton Prize for supporting positive interactions between religion and science. While there, he gave a lengthy interview on compassion, a foundational element of the Buddhist faith, as well as on his views about prescription drug use, and even the importance of getting good sleep for internal peace and mindfulness. According to the Dalai Lama, while religion cannot be universal, education can and values must be instilled that way.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama sat down with Arianna Huffington at St. Pauls Cathedral in London to celebrate his Templeton Prize, and discuss the importance of a productive conversation between spirituality and science.
The Dalai Lama's role in fostering positive interactions between religion and science is one of the reasons why he was honored by the prize.
As the Templeton Foundation notes: "For decades, Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama has vigorously focused on the connections between the investigative traditions of science and Buddhism as a way to better understand and advance what both disciplines might offer the world."
Arianna Huffington also asked HH Dalai Lama about the importance of sleep; the epidemic of stress, anxiety, and drugs legal and illegal; and compassion, which is emphasized in the practice of Buddhism.
The Templeton Prize comes with a cash award of $1.7 million dollars, which His Holiness has donated to Save The Children.
Read more of the Dalai Lama's interview at the Huffington Post.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 25
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 17
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16
- Space and religion: How believers view... 11