WASHINGTON — George W. Bush is backing presumptive Republican White House nominee Mitt Romney.
The former president offered a four-word endorsement of Romney as the doors of his elevator were closing after a speech Tuesday in Washington.
Bush said: "I'm for Mitt Romney."
ABC News caught Bush after the speech, prompting his unscripted — but not surprising — endorsement.
Bush's parents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, endorsed Romney in March during an appearance in Texas. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush also publicly backed Romney.
Romney's campaign issued a brief statement welcoming the support.
Since leaving office in January 2009, George W. Bush has tried to avoid politics.
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Top 15 states for education
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 8
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6