WASHINGTON — George W. Bush is backing presumptive Republican White House nominee Mitt Romney.
The former president offered a four-word endorsement of Romney as the doors of his elevator were closing after a speech Tuesday in Washington.
Bush said: "I'm for Mitt Romney."
ABC News caught Bush after the speech, prompting his unscripted — but not surprising — endorsement.
Bush's parents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, endorsed Romney in March during an appearance in Texas. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush also publicly backed Romney.
Romney's campaign issued a brief statement welcoming the support.
Since leaving office in January 2009, George W. Bush has tried to avoid politics.
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a trailer
- Police name doctor killed in Reno hospital...
- Rep. Mark Patterson says he'll resign from...
- Study: Yellowstone magma chamber more than 2...
- Ancient Stonehenge gets modern-day revamp
- Massachusetts high-tech startup hopes to...
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 United States films...
- India diplomat says she faced cavity search...
- Poll: Obama's health care law blamed... 35
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter entered... 34
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 29
- United Methodist minister won't quit... 20
- Associated Press survey: United States... 20
- Study: Yellowstone magma chamber more... 14
- Police name doctor killed in Reno... 13
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 6