WASHINGTON — George W. Bush is backing presumptive Republican White House nominee Mitt Romney.
The former president offered a four-word endorsement of Romney as the doors of his elevator were closing after a speech Tuesday in Washington.
Bush said: "I'm for Mitt Romney."
ABC News caught Bush after the speech, prompting his unscripted — but not surprising — endorsement.
Bush's parents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, endorsed Romney in March during an appearance in Texas. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush also publicly backed Romney.
Romney's campaign issued a brief statement welcoming the support.
Since leaving office in January 2009, George W. Bush has tried to avoid politics.
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Latest on flooding: Crews ready if dam near...
- River rafters discover wreckage of aircraft...
- A mountain submarine? What the heck?
- The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from...
- IRS says thieves stole tax info from more...
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 18
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 16
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 12
- Democrats see skimpy insurance as the... 11
- Veterans frustrated by presidential... 9