WASHINGTON — George W. Bush is backing presumptive Republican White House nominee Mitt Romney.
The former president offered a four-word endorsement of Romney as the doors of his elevator were closing after a speech Tuesday in Washington.
Bush said: "I'm for Mitt Romney."
ABC News caught Bush after the speech, prompting his unscripted — but not surprising — endorsement.
Bush's parents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, endorsed Romney in March during an appearance in Texas. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush also publicly backed Romney.
Romney's campaign issued a brief statement welcoming the support.
Since leaving office in January 2009, George W. Bush has tried to avoid politics.
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges mistakes in...
- Utah's Tibetan community prays, mourns for...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- How to help Nepal earthquake victims
- Ceremonies mark liberation of concentration...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 59
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 32
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 22
- Clinton Foundation admits missteps in... 15
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges... 13
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 13