Ravell Call, Deseret News
Ignore the razzing from your peers, KSL contributor Daniel Burton suggests — don't just read serious nonfiction books — read fiction and experience the best form of reading.
Burton gives a few reasons to read fiction, including:
Self-mastery and empathy
Honing social skills
More healthy than watching television
Fiction, Burton wrote, helps people disconnect from the stresses of life and connect with other human beings in an active, empathetic mental process.
"What is a Catch-22 without 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller? You might know 'a Scrooge' because 'A Christmas Carol' has been adapted for the screen so many times, but Charles Dickens wrote it first, and it is best in its literary form even today," Burton wrote. "Can you imagine Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean or Jack Sparrow without Robert Louis Stevenson' Long John Silver from 'Treasure Island'? Could Will Smith have been in 'I Am Legend' without Richard Matheson? Or Tom Cruise in 'Minority Report' without Philip K. Dick? The list goes on. Before they were blockbusters, they were novels, and I can promise you this: the book is almost always better than the movie."
Read more at KSL.com.
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Dear mom who sometimes feels like a terrible...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Dear son: This is why I can't save you from...
- Gunman caught after shooting father-in-law in...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 51
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 23
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- New York English teacher assigns... 16
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 15
- Dad shares lessons learned from living... 12
- Push for solutions underway to Utah's... 11
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is... 11