AP file photo,
Related list: Top 10 performances of Ty Detmer's BYU football career
It was formally announced earlier today that BYU's Ty Detmer has been elected to the College Football Hall of Fame. BYU has had many great quarterbacks pass through its program, but none were quite as accomplished as Detmer, who threw for 15,031 yards and 121 touchdowns during his career, both of which were NCAA records at the time.
Detmer played from 1988-1991 and remains the only BYU quarterback to win the Heisman Trophy. He joins fellow BYU Hall of Famers Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, LaVell Edwards, Steve Young and Gordon Hudson. BYU now has five quarterbacks inducted into the Hall of Fame, second only to Notre Dame.
Detmer commented on his induction in an ESPN interview, stating, "It's a tremendous honor to go in with such a great class. Just knowing that people appreciated what you did on the field and there's no better sport than college football to me. It's something that I enjoyed and it was a perfect fit for me at BYU."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16