President Obama's re-election campaign is on the warpath. The enemy is Mitt Romney, and the weapon of choice is a two-minute TV ad unveiled Monday that attacks Romney's business record at Bain Capital.
"The ad tells the Obama campaign's version of events at GST Steel, a shuttered Kansas City plant that Bain Capital took over before it went into bankruptcy," USA Today reported . "The closing cost hundreds their jobs and jeopardized their pensions, according to Obama for America."
The Los Angeles Times noted one particular way in in which the new ad diverges from Obama's typical modus operandi: Almost all the faces shown in the ad belong to white men.
"This two-minute spot is part of an effort to disqualify Romney in the minds of a key group of swing voters — working-class white men," Paul West wrote for the L.A. Times. "As a result, it departs from the usual diverse mix of ad subjects that characterizes the president's politics. In this one, virtually everyone appearing on camera is a white man."
Team Romney wasted no time in responding to the negative portrayal of its candidate's bona fides. Time Magazine's Mark Halperin reported that Romney's campaign "sends along research claiming GST Steel layoffs took place after Romney left Bain Capital, (and) news articles tweaking the President's energy policy."
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Unions and tea party activists? Common Core...
- Obama's Kenyan-born uncle allowed to remain...
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban 65
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 57
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 39
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 17
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 16
- White House: On track for health care... 13