President Obama's re-election campaign is on the warpath. The enemy is Mitt Romney, and the weapon of choice is a two-minute TV ad unveiled Monday that attacks Romney's business record at Bain Capital.
"The ad tells the Obama campaign's version of events at GST Steel, a shuttered Kansas City plant that Bain Capital took over before it went into bankruptcy," USA Today reported . "The closing cost hundreds their jobs and jeopardized their pensions, according to Obama for America."
The Los Angeles Times noted one particular way in in which the new ad diverges from Obama's typical modus operandi: Almost all the faces shown in the ad belong to white men.
"This two-minute spot is part of an effort to disqualify Romney in the minds of a key group of swing voters — working-class white men," Paul West wrote for the L.A. Times. "As a result, it departs from the usual diverse mix of ad subjects that characterizes the president's politics. In this one, virtually everyone appearing on camera is a white man."
Team Romney wasted no time in responding to the negative portrayal of its candidate's bona fides. Time Magazine's Mark Halperin reported that Romney's campaign "sends along research claiming GST Steel layoffs took place after Romney left Bain Capital, (and) news articles tweaking the President's energy policy."
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Scotland votes to remain part of United Kingdom
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Armed officers comb ambush suspect's woods
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- How much America wants to be taxed 6
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5