President Obama's re-election campaign is on the warpath. The enemy is Mitt Romney, and the weapon of choice is a two-minute TV ad unveiled Monday that attacks Romney's business record at Bain Capital.
"The ad tells the Obama campaign's version of events at GST Steel, a shuttered Kansas City plant that Bain Capital took over before it went into bankruptcy," USA Today reported . "The closing cost hundreds their jobs and jeopardized their pensions, according to Obama for America."
The Los Angeles Times noted one particular way in in which the new ad diverges from Obama's typical modus operandi: Almost all the faces shown in the ad belong to white men.
"This two-minute spot is part of an effort to disqualify Romney in the minds of a key group of swing voters — working-class white men," Paul West wrote for the L.A. Times. "As a result, it departs from the usual diverse mix of ad subjects that characterizes the president's politics. In this one, virtually everyone appearing on camera is a white man."
Team Romney wasted no time in responding to the negative portrayal of its candidate's bona fides. Time Magazine's Mark Halperin reported that Romney's campaign "sends along research claiming GST Steel layoffs took place after Romney left Bain Capital, (and) news articles tweaking the President's energy policy."
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 17
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Navajo Generating Station, West's... 11