OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. — Austin Heaps' solo home run to lead off the eighth inning started a six-run rally as Utah Valley University pulled away late to win 11-2 over NYIT on Sunday, sweeping the four-game series and extending its winning streak to 32 games.
The Wolverines (39-11, 24-0 GWC) now return home for the final five games of the regular season before hosting the 2012 Great West Conference Tournament starting May 22 at Brent Brown Ballpark. UVU will next host in-state rival Utah on Tuesday at 6 p.m. MT.
Sean Moysh and Willie Pratt both drove in three runs apiece for UVU while Josh Swenson picked up the win after striking out four in relief of Justin Campbell's first start of the year.
OREGON STATE 5, UTAH 4: At Salt Lake City, the Utah baseball team lost a late lead before falling in extra innings, 5-4, against Oregon State on Sunday afternoon.
Utah led 4-3 going into the top of the ninth inning. Pinch-hitter Ryan Gorton hit an infield single to lead off the inning for OSU, and although reliever Kesley Kondo got the next two outs after a sacrifice bunt and a strikeout, Michael Conforto hit a single up the middle to score the game-tying run.
Oregon State led off the top of the 10th with Ryan Dunn doubling to the gap in left center. Ryan Barnes was intentionally walked with one out but the Utah pitchers struggled with control and walked the next two batters, sending home the game-winning run.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7