SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake's Ed Lucas is feeling it right now. The crafty infielder went 1-for-3 Sunday night with a pair of RBIs in a 10-7 loss to Albuquerque, and has now hit safely in the last 14 home games.
The streak is the longest at home by a Bees' batter this season, and also equals the longest home hitting streak in the PCL this season. At Spring Mobile Ballpark, Lucas has a batting average of .447.
"It's a great place to play, great ball park, great atmosphere and I see the ball well here," said Lucas.
Lucas was signed by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim as a free agent in January, and is sitting on a batting average of .294 with 14 RBIs and a home run with the Bees.
"They've given me a great opportunity," noted Lucas while adding, "I was told I'd have a chance to come in and compete for a Triple-A job, and since I've been here Keith (Johnson) has done a great job getting me into the lineup."
The Michigan native understands his role with Salt Lake, and hopes to continue to give back to a team that fully supports his work and results.
"I've done a decent job to this point, but hopefully I can give them some better at-bats and better defense in the future."
NOTEBOOK: Albuquerque pitcher Will Savage was solid on the mound Sunday night, with four earned runs on five hits and two strikeouts … The Bees saw three players take the mound in the loss.
STEAL THIS BASE: Paul McAnulty managed to steal second base in last night's ballgame. The Bees now have 35 stolen bases on the year, second behind Omaha, who currently have 39.
HOME RUN BLUES: The Bees have allowed a league-high 48 homers, and are near the bottom of the table in home runs for with 28. Salt Lake also has just eight home runs slugged at home.
TROUT WATCH: Former Bees slugger Mike Trout went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a strikeout. The centerfielder is has a batting average of .306 with two home runs and seven RBIs with the Halos this season.
ATTENDANCE: 5,678 fans came out on Mother's Day to support the home team.
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi beats Bingham,...
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Utah Jazz release Orlando Pro Summer League...
- High school softball: Seniors lead Copper...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 41
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 28
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 20
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8