CHESTER, Pa. — Kenny Cooper scored in the 78th minute to lift the New York Red Bulls past the Philadelphia Union 3-2 on Sunday.
Joel Lindpere and Markus Holgersson also scored for the Red Bulls (7-3-1), who won their fourth match in a row and moved into first place in the Eastern Conference with 22 points. Sporting Kansas City is one point behind New York.
Lionard Pajoy scored two goals as the Union (2-6-1) dropped their third straight despite scoring twice for the first time this season. They entered the match with only five goals, tied with Chivas USA for last in the league.
CHIVAS USA 1, EARTHQUAKES 1: At Santa Clara, Calif., Alan Gordon's goal in the 89th minute salvaged a tie for the San Jose Earthquakes. Gordon, a substitute in the 57th minute, headed in a perfectly placed cross pass off the left wing from rookie midfielder Sam Garza to tie it. San Jose (7-2-2) moved into sole possession of second place in the Western Conference, three points behind Real Salt Lake.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43