CHESTER, Pa. — Kenny Cooper scored in the 78th minute to lift the New York Red Bulls past the Philadelphia Union 3-2 on Sunday.
Joel Lindpere and Markus Holgersson also scored for the Red Bulls (7-3-1), who won their fourth match in a row and moved into first place in the Eastern Conference with 22 points. Sporting Kansas City is one point behind New York.
Lionard Pajoy scored two goals as the Union (2-6-1) dropped their third straight despite scoring twice for the first time this season. They entered the match with only five goals, tied with Chivas USA for last in the league.
CHIVAS USA 1, EARTHQUAKES 1: At Santa Clara, Calif., Alan Gordon's goal in the 89th minute salvaged a tie for the San Jose Earthquakes. Gordon, a substitute in the 57th minute, headed in a perfectly placed cross pass off the left wing from rookie midfielder Sam Garza to tie it. San Jose (7-2-2) moved into sole possession of second place in the Western Conference, three points behind Real Salt Lake.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26